#4

 I read an article this week titled “A Different Way to Raise Strong Daughters” written by Nicholeen Peck. In the article she says “Raising daughters who embrace their full womanhood and nurturing power in a world of voices that limit women to extrinsic pursuits like popularity, fortune, and sex appeal can be difficult. However, parents can help their daughters safely navigate all the conflicting messages by focusing on the following five lessons.” I wanted to share my favorites of the lessons she suggests and how I have related to them growing up.

“Lesson 1 - Talents are varied between the sexes, and girls can try all the activities, including domestic ones.”


Biologically males and females are created differently. Males typically have more muscle and may be more likely to be into something such as weightlifting, girls typically have more attention to detail and may be more likely to be into painting/art. Girls can be very good at weightlifting and boys can be very good at art. Just because there are activities that are classified as “girly” or “manly” does not mean only boys and girls can do those things. I think it is important for a parent to let their daughter explore a variety of activities and not put limitations because it “a boys activity”. Growing up I don’t think there was ever a time when my parents said I shouldn’t do something because it was more for boys. I think that gave me confidence on what I did when I was younger, and it later gave me confidence to pursue a career and know that I have that option as well as being a stay at home mum.

“Lesson 4 - Love motherhood!”

Sometimes it seems like society has put a negative view on motherhood. “A kid will hold me back from my career” “I like my life how it is” “I don’t want the responsibility” etc. However, I don’t believe motherhood should be viewed that way. To me being a mother sounds like the most fulfilling thing I can so. Having the ability to bring a human being into the world really is a blessing, it should be viewed as such rather than viewed as a bad thing. I think it is important to teach your daughter she can have a career and a fun life while being a mother. I had a great example growing up because my mum earned her bachelors degree and law degree and went on to be a full time lawyer, all while having 2-5 kids over the years. Seeing what she accomplished I know I can have multiple kids and be a great mum while having a great career. I also realize if I choose to be a stay at home mum there is nothing wrong with that and it is a whole job on its own.

“Lesson 5 – Teach good communication and relationship building skills.”

In this point Nicholeen Peck says “…we are laying a foundation for future home, career, and social happiness.” I could not agree with this statement more. Without good communication you cannot have a healthy relationship, without a healthy relationship you cannot have a successful marriage, without a successful marriage you cannot raise kids in an ideal situation, and so on. These are fundamental skills to teach your children to set them up for success in the future. I was raised in a home where I could always be very open and communitive with my parents, later that helped me be able to do the same in past relationships. Because of all that experience I am confident in my ability to have good communication with my future husband and family.

Here is the link in case you wanted to read more!

A Different Way to Raise Strong Daughters | Meridian Magazine (latterdaysaintmag.com)

Comments

Popular Posts